Wednesday 15th of June was a big day for the 100% campaign. Together a delegation from ten local groups handed over the results of over 14,000 conversations to the MPCCC members in Parliament, saw our delegation being swarmed by TV and print cameras and had a number of us feature live on regional and national radio.
We were also told that while our efforts are making a difference we've still got a way to go and that we need to keep on the pressure for the next two weeks.
So now we are asking groups to share the results of their local conversations with their local MP’s and ask them to unlock renewable energy.
Some groups will have a meeting with their MP lined up while others will just be going to the office for an event and handing results to the staffers, some groups will have lots of people others just one or two. Some groups are not near their MPs offices so will hold an event somewhere else.
Either way you should use your creativity and sense of fun around the theme of keys and unlocking renewable energy to have a good visual angle for your local paper to photograph.
Here's some ideas for what you could do:
- Take a big cardboard cutout of a key and give it to your MP asking them to unlock renewable energy
- Take a solar panel draped in chains and ask her or him to unchain renewable energy?
- Turn up with a group of people each carrying a bunch of keys and take a photo holding up bunches of keys?
- Take a photo at a postbox of you posting a key to the Prime Minister (you could attach a tag, with the address and a message for the PM about renewable energy)?
We are attaching some resources to help with your activity below:
- A draft media release to put out before the event. Make sure you call your local paper a day or two before to get them along for a photo.
- Two templates (one from Armidale, one from Ballarat) for you to adapt into a local report with your results.
- The national survey results in case they're useful (remember your local ones will more powerful for your local MP).
- A checklist to make sure you've done all you need
And for those of you who aren't with a group or are far from your MP offices you could get your members and supporters to send old keys to Julia Gillard’s office asking her to “unlock renewable energy” using the revenue from the carbon price. We are attaching an email template you could use to send to your supporters here too.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard: PO Box 6022, House of Representatives, Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Once you have takne the results to your local MP, make sure you report back to all the people who participated in the survey and said they wanted to hear back, to let them know what your local member of parliament has said. We will have a template report back email available very shortly.